Monday, June 06, 2005

that didn't work so well

"I'll just whip out a partlet this weekend and be done, done DONE!" - famous last words.

Aside from getting side-tracked by redoing the veil (which I like a lot better now, thank you very much), the partlet is turning out to be a pain in the patoot. I thought that one of those gold net kind of partlets would be very nice indeed. And really, how hard could it be? So I made a little mock-up out of a hideous jungle print, got the dress engineer to trace the neckline of the dress on it, and cut it out. I laid this down on some backing fabric - leftover cotton veil stuff to be exact - cut an inch around, pinned it to a box, and started adding cord. The box idea came from Alyxx, and it's quite ingenious, at least when executed properly. Which I didn't do. There were at least two ways in which I didn't execute this correctly. It looked pretty nice on the box:


 Posted by Hello

Then came time to shift the piece around, which was when I discovered that (1) I had drawn the fabric and cords to different tensions, so when released it became a puckered mess and (2) I hadn't finished the edges before I tacked it on there, so ravelling had eaten up my extra (which wasn't enough to begin with anyway), as well as eating into the section that was supposed to show. Lots of hours tacking all those little points down the drain. Bah.

I'm trying again, with several changes. I switched to a more tightly woven (although synthetic) fabric that I hope won't shift as much on the bias. I got a much bigger box. I didn't cut the partlet out. At the moment, I'm tacking down the diamond pattern with it on the box, then I'll trace and all. The fabric will have to unravel about 8 inches from each side at present, so let's hope that doesn't happen. Oh, and I'm also tying the knots from the front, not the back. This was the view from the back.....owie, ow, ow every few minutes when I'd forget about the pins.


 Posted by Hello

No comments: