Tuesday, October 04, 2005

peasanty pleasantries


 Posted by Picasa

Aren't Julie and I cute? Here we are at the MD Faire last Saturday. We're pretty pleased about the whole "getting our dresses done on time" bit, although to be fair, we were up until 2 the night before sewing up sleeves and hems and so forth. Much to the dress engineer's disappointment, we seemed to be enjoying it. I actually put together a pair of black linen sleeves using Julie's pattern, after midnight, and without sewing them together backwards! I was pretty amazed. Here are some shots of us with sleeves, squinting in the sun. Julie's hat is very cool, no?


 Posted by Picasa

As Julie mentioned in her post, although some of the faire folks recognized our Flemish-ness, several non-costume types pegged us as Amish. This was kind of funny, but actually, considering the back view, I can rather see it:


 Posted by Picasa

Here's another shot showing our headgear from the side.


 Posted by Picasa

And one last shot of us laughing about something. Probably the pinching gesture I seem to be making.


 Posted by Picasa

We definitely enjoyed wearing these for the day. They were very comfortable. I'll post later on day two of our adventure: Venetians in Pennsylvania.

7 comments:

Julebug said...

Yay Amish day! I didn't notice that pinching gesture before you said something. No doubt you were commenting on the theme in the flemish market portraits. ;)

So. Naughty.

Beth said...

I believe you may be right about the, erm....sauciness.

Laren said...

Everytime I see a well done Flemish peasent outfit, I want to make one. I will get around to it one of these days. Both outfits are great!!

Cheers,
Laren

Beth said...

Laren, thanks so much! If you'd any idea how much I've admired your amazing embroidery, you'd know how much that means to me (and Julie too no doubt!). Thanks for the encouragement!

Julebug said...

Laren,
I second what Beth said! I've been avidly following your warwick shirt progress. I am in awe!

Thank you for the compliments!

Isis said...

i love this type of flemish dresses! i've been wanting to make myself one for a very long time, but i just don't seem to be able to get around with it!
yours looks just adorable!

tra said...

I would like help creating the head scarf for our girl Scout troop who is dressing up for a cultural event.