Thursday, October 20, 2005

cuff # 1

The design proceeds apace:

 Posted by Picasa


Laren very rightly pointed out (thank you!) that I should have tested the silk floss for colorfastness before beginning. Oops. Anyway, I took my hideous test swatch, doused it in soap, and scrubbed it under hot water for a good bit. This got rid of the pink transfer pencil but didn't seem to cause any bleeding of the black. I got lucky I guess. Hopefully I won't do anything worse than that in laundering it, so I think I'm ok to go on.

As Laren also pointed out, this isn't a good choice of design for non-counted work. I agree completely, but I really wanted to work Julie's design. I tried counting threads and it didn't take very long to give me a headache, so I think that's out. I made a few changes to the design, mostly because I couldn't really get the fine detail to work out. Too many stitches in the same area just kind of made a mess. This is just boring ole backstitching (because double-running drives me mad). The Soie d'Alger is sort of slubby and annoying, but for backstitching I think I can deal. I'll just go ahead and pretend that this is the reason my other stitches looked so poopy. Julie, don't buy this stuff. Buy the one Laren recommended.

 Posted by Picasa


It goes reasonably fast. It would go faster if not for my newly renewed obsession with knitting socks. Something about the leaves turning makes me want socks. Which has nothing to do with period costuming of course, but should make the Niter happy. Yes, Niter, I'm knitting. And your birthday present is finally done.

4 comments:

Julebug said...

Wow! That was also my least favorite of the three, but that looks pretty damn awesome when blackworked! Kudos to you, me and ADAM (the computer whiz that actually put it on the computer for us). hehe. I approve of your changes--especially the "shell" look of the little diamonds--that's awesome!

I also have had a sewing hiatus. Prepping for upcoming cruise and weddings. I look forward to seeing your socks!

Laren said...

Beth,

It seems to be working up quick, which is always good!

I stand corrected on the pattern, I was thinking you'd do it in stem stitch (after 100 hours, it's strong in my mind!) and would need to round it off, but by working it in backstitch, you keep the angularity without the need to count. I think it might give this ago myself, it's looking fantastic!

Cheers,
Laren

Beth said...

Thanks so much ladies. It's fun to work on (if I can just keep my mind off the silly striped socks...sock sock sock). I did initially try it in stem stitch, but it was an unmitigated disaster! Hence the falling back on the lame backstitch, but it looks pretty good when I hold it up at a distance, so I'm happy enough.

I'm now kind of tempted to try Laren's edging and joining technique on this shirt! That looks like a fun addition. I've got a book with some fancy-pants insertion stitches too that are intriguing. Hmm.....wheels turning.

Racaire said...

Looks very good!