Monday, October 17, 2005

artigranites and flaming pinapples

So a long long time ago, in a state far far away, Julie designed for me several very exciting, somewhat mutant-looking blackwork edgings, like so:

 Posted by Picasa


These were supposed to go with my Venetian outfit, and I believe at the time, I selected the middle one. I thought I was going to do counted blackwork on my camicia. Yeah. Har. Har. So that didn't happen. However, this time around, for Aaron's shirt I'd like blackworked cuffs and collar, and I'm not counting. Thank goodness. Counting on linen that fine is an exercise in minding one's temper. This time I'm actually doing the one on the left, which was originally my least favorite of the bunch, but it somehow seems to fit Aaron's style. He likes the slanty-twisty columns too. He was smart enough to have no opinions on which of these designs (and various others that I was trying out) he preferred until I had already decided. And then he wisely chose that one. Such a smart guy.

Anyway, this time I'm actually using silk embroidery floss, which is a first for me. I got it from Hedgehog Handworks. It's their Soie d'Alger, which according to their website is a 7-strand divisible silk, even though I thought I counted 8 strands. It was chosen from the options pretty much at random because it had pretty colors. Although how important that is when I'm only using black, I couldn't say. Many thanks to Laren for her advice on the marking pencil and use of the hoop. Both seem to be working out really well, although having read her post this morning, I'm starting to have "is-this-pink-stuff-going-to-come-out?" anxiety. I'll find out soon enough I guess! (What, you say that I could try washing the horribly crooked samples I did yesterday? Come now, that's not sporting!)

Julie - I know you were wanting to know what I thought of the silk floss and I have to say that I'm not sure yet! It's not really what I expected somehow, although I'm not sure what I expected. Something silkier I guess! It's actually a bit rougher than plain ole synthetic DMC floss, and is not so shiny. It took me quite a while to figure out a stitch and corresponding number of threads that would go down smoothly. Part of that was me and my lack of skills of course. I wanted to try some new stitches: chain stitch, stem stitch, satin stitch...something, anything!!! In the end, I did get to where I could do chain stitch reasonably, but I think I'll save it for something more freeform in design. This one just looks best in Holbein (well, backstitch really, as I'm a cheater, but the back will be hidden anyway). And may I say that I'm just plain disappointed not to be doing it in some new-to-me stitch? I think the next thing up may just have to be some little accessory type object for me simply so I can play with stitches. I'm looking around for historical designs that are less counted-looking so I can play with that.

So I know, all weekend fooling around with thread, and all I have done is one motif, and no picture. I'll work on it this evening and see if I can't snap a shot. Blame it on Niter for having a birthday this week; I was trying to finish her present. Yes, Niter, if you're reading this, that does mean I'm working on a present for you. Present present present!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how thrilling! I am *so* excited.

Last week I thought it was worthless to think about my birthday but between you, Julie, and Vince, I am so excited.

Evil me teased the poor boy about the date of my birthday...for two years he thought it was the 17th so he was quite stressed on IM before I had to pull the plug on letting him squirm. Silly creature.

Must study cells. Must not look at Alpacas. Must not think of spinning. Must not wonder what is in the making.

Julebug said...

So, are you joining the sewing circle this evening? If so, have fun!

At least you ATTEMPTED the fancy stitches. I just hopped right on into backstitching again. I will get a book though, and I will try some fancier embroidery. But not before adam's costume. No, simply not.

Laren said...

Beth,

Great project, but a couple of comments. First, Soie d'Alger is great but make sure you do a small test piece to make sure it can be washed. I use Maderia silk thread. It's not as shiny as some of the other silks but it's very easy to work with (the soie d'aleger can be very catchy) and I know it won't run or bleed when washed.

Second, the patterns are great but they are designed for counted thread work. Maybe try rounding the edges of the design to give it a more curvy look? The free form blackwork tends to be done using softer, more curved designs.

Have fun, and post lots of pictures.

Cheers,
Laren

Anonymous said...

I really like Splendor stranded silk-- it's 12 strands, nice and smooth, and 1 card goes a long way.


Jess, random SCAer who stumbled on your dress diary :)