Thursday, October 06, 2005

venetians take 2


 Posted by Picasa

As I mentioned in the last post, we decided to spend one day at the Maryland Renaissance Faire (in Flemish garb) and one day at the Pennsylvania Faire (in the Venetian outfits we'd worn once before to the Virginia Faire. We were a little iffy on driving to PA, since it took two hours, but by doing it in our period underwear, we were able to survive the "little red oven," as we fondly called Julie's car. We both loved the PA event. We both recalled it as having paved walkways and had the idea that this would really detract. However, the lovely scenery, presence of water fountains, and (now here's an idea) abundant shady seating more than made up for the pavement. For that matter, it was pretty nice not getting so much dust in everything. We were also impressed with the quality of the shows and the street acting (my favorite part). The team does a great job and are really friendly! The jousters are just plain nuts. There was actual falling-off-of-the-horse and bloody-nose-streaming-on-face. Not to mention blowing-up-of-stuff and really-hot-fire. The fight was to the death. And nobody stopped that for the kiddies. It was kind of appalling, which I thought was great!


 Posted by Picasa

As you can see, we pretty much wore the same thing as last time, except that since I still haven't gotten around to making a replacement partlet, I just wore the Flemish one from the day before. I actually really liked it. I think the shape is good, and I'm considering doing the same shape in a finer fabric for this costume. Perhaps with some embroidery. I think it made a pretty substantial difference in how I felt wearing the outfit.


 Posted by Picasa

We didn't have a photographer along with us on Sunday, so we tended to find a pretty spot, then take a picture of each of us. We did, however, do a decent job of not taking pictures with trash cans sprouting from our shoulders this time!


 Posted by Picasa

I really liked Julie's hair and veil combo this time. We won't mention that there was sewing going on in the car on the way. No, definitely not. We don't do things at the last moment, right?


 Posted by Picasa

Here's Julie with her new basket. We were really pleased with our new baskets. So pleased that we traipsed out to the car to dump our old baskets.


 Posted by Picasa

And of course, the obligatory "laughing like an idiot" picture. I think I'm laughing because Julie narrowly missed taking a picture of me with my tongue stuck out.

So then, we shall have to see what is next up. I think it might be time to make the dress engineer his new outfit if I'm going to keep to the "three for me, one for him" rule.

1 comment:

Julebug said...

Sewing in the car? Beth, dear, I thought that would be our little, dirty secret.... But I do thank you for finishing my veil for me!

You are right, I thought the partlet made a world of difference with your Venetian--that "i went the extra mile" look. I really must do a venetian partlet someday...

Perhaps the same "someday" that I do my flemish black partlet...

I wish I had taken a clear pic of "laughing like an idiot." I have an aptitude for taking blurry shots, apparently. Sorry!