Monday, June 26, 2006

hat part 2

I think the hat is getting even larger and more ridiculous. Since the last post, I have sewn up all the seams properly, then added a pink linen lining, like so:
 
It isn't perfect, but I think it'll do. I figured linen would feel nice against my head, and the pink is the result of an unfortunate dye job. It was supposed to be a nice rust color for a jerkin for Aaron. He nixed this color. Shame.

I went ahead and used some quilt batting to pad the structure a little bit. I was hoping to tone down the faceting on the crown of the hat. This would be where the "getting even larger and more ridiculous" comes in, but I think it's necessary. No pictures of that, sorry. I added heavy-gauge wire to the brim in case I want to tinker with the shape of the curve after I'm done. I've also begun to cover the hat with some very nice black cotton velvet. Here's my attempt at arranging pleats at the top.
 
You can see here the little pancake stack of batting that I've used to make the top (hopefully) domed. And may I just say that this is a ridiculous shape to try to cover. I've been tinkering with pleats at top and bottom. This hat is pretty much stuck in the "almost done but I'm not quite happy with it" phase. Hopefully I can sort it out! Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Julebug said...

You will definitely sort it out. I believe in you. I really like the pink lining! I think I have lining envy.

Anonymous said...

I adore the pink (though I was surprised)! I cannot wait to see Hat 3 where you wear it :)