Wednesday, June 21, 2006

my hat is bigger than your hat

Meet Lady Kytson:
 
Or at any rate, meet her hat. It’s quite a hat. Indeed, if you compare her to various other portraits, her face is much lower in the painting than average to accommodate that gloriously silly hat. After Julie started messing around with hat-making (and complaining about the largeness and silliness of the hats), I decided it was time to work on the hat I’ve been coveting. Also, I think I’ll have to start cultivating that “I smell something foul, perhaps it’s a peasant” facial expression. To use on my husband.

Step 1: Analyze the hat. The height of Lady Kytson’s hat is roughly 150% that of her face, tapers up to a bulbous sort of shape, and has an exceedingly arched brim. I’m not sure what the fabric might be, as it’s a black-on-black portrait, but I’m going on the assumption that the very nice cotton velvet that supposed to be arriving in my mailbox tomorrow would be a good choice. She’s got some sort of enormous bendy feather on the side, which I’ll have to look for. She’s also got a bunch of brooches? buttons? jewels? who knows? stuck all around the base of the crown. That too, I’ll have to consider. I may do a simple band, since my character isn’t supposed to be quite as hoity-toity as all that.

Step 2: Make a paper mockup on a small scale to see how the curves will come together. Decide that it’s the proper size for the dog. Chase the dog around with a paper hat and a camera. Always an important step in any sewing endeavor, right?

 
Step 3: Lay out a pattern. Definitely don’t bother to research the pattern, just start tinkering. Surely high school geometry is good for something. I am using plastic canvas because that’s readily available locally, whereas buckram is not. Also, while I do know how to make tacky Kleenex box covers, I do not know how to work with buckram. No doubt as I sweat under this enormous plastic hat, I’ll regret this decision, but there’s nothing new about that. Here’s what I ended up with for a pattern after a couple of tries:

 
Step 4: Stick a few stitches on each side to make sure that this hat is going to go together approximately right. And by approximately right, I mean that it should make the husband choke with laughter. Apparently, it was approximately right. I made the husband compare the portrait and me a number of times to see if the proportions were in the ballpark. After all his squinting and measuring with his fingers and all, he was unable to conclude that the hat was too big. If anything, he said, it might be a smidge small. Hard to believe I know. So then, here is the aptly-named “mock up.” You may commence mocking. On a side note, I can still walk through doorways, so that’s good.


 

Step 5: Take it apart and start sewing it together properly. No pictures of that yet, but it’s going along swimmingly. Plastic canvas is really fun to sew on. Oh, also, additional mocking at this point would be fair. As if that weren’t self-evident. Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Julebug said...

Okay, I just got some very strange looks from my officemate, since I was laughing out loud. And I do mean LOUD. We will have to reroute planes for your new hat. Consider yourself mocked!

Seriously, though, its so close to the portrait, and the shape and design is breathtaking! Literally. I can't wait to see it all nicely velveted and decorated. You're going to look awesome! Oh, and people sitting behind you at renfest shows will be most perplexed. ;)

Beth said...

Oh I know. Isn't it awful? And yet wonderful? In an awful way. It's even nicer sewn up correctly. I can't wait for that velvet to come in. It'll look a lot nicer be-feathered and be-jewelled and be-velveted. I hope!

As for the people behind me, they wouldn't actually expect a lady to remove her hat would they? A lady wouldn't do that...

Julebug said...

Oh, no, a lady certainly mustn't remove her hat. Especially if its firmly pinned to her hair to keep low branches from knockig it off! Hehe.

Julebug said...

Adam wants me to add: "It needs some huge crazy feather off of a mythical creature...a LIGER feather!" Though i'm fairly certain that ligers are not mythical, nor do they have feathers....

Anonymous said...

Dear Beth,
Love the hat, watch out for flying ducks. Now I am on a mission to find jewels for you at garage sales, and I already found one yesterday at a bargin bin. Check you mail in a week or so,
Love Aunt Tina

Beth said...

Auntie Tina - oooooh.....jewels!!! Thank you! I can't wait to see it! Yes, I fear running into low-hanging branches, etc, in this hat. I'm just not used to being tall!

Adam - Don't be silly, what I need is the feather of the rare COUGAR BIRD (which my sister once heard in the woods and has never since been allowed to forget...hi Lora!) Aaaaahh! Not the dreaded cougar bird!

Anonymous said...

Beth,
So, are you going to finish Lucy's hat? I think a stylish leash would compliment you and she as you haughtly stroll along. Lucy would look best with rubies, I think.
Love,
MOM

Beth said...

Motherrrrrrr! Lucy only gets rubies on her collar if you send them! She did say to tell you that she would deign to wear garnets if that would be easier on the budget. And she wanted you to know that I'm partial to emeralds and pearls. Pushy little dog.

Lucy isn't all that fond of wearing hats as it happens. Jackets, yes. Legwarmers, yes. Blanket wrapped around her like a toga, yes. Little doggie neck caul, yes yes yes. But hats....not so much. Maybe a chin strap?

Laren said...

Beth,

I am watching this one with interest as you've picked what is probably my favourite Elizabethan portrait. If I was to ever make a complete copy of any one outfit, this would be it. I look for the right coloured orange silk contantly!! And the smock and the hat. BTW, good quality buckram is very easy to work with (you can sew it on the sewing machine - I use my backup machine, cause it can be slightly hard going) or just as easy to work with by hand. I am about to order some more, as a little bit goes a long way.

I love the hat so far, can't wait to see the finished product.

Cheers,
Jane