Friday, September 22, 2006

one week (but who's counting?)

Indeed, one week to the faire in Salem. It's about time to get going on this project, no?

So first of all, just for Julie, some more pictures of ouches. All ouches, all the time.
 
These have been filled in with the sort of paint one uses to make fake stained glass windows. They're somewhat lumpy because the paint shrank a lot each time it dried, so I kept adding more. The one on the bottom right is not so lumpy. I found it stuck to the bottle (thank you cats). I'm thinking about trying to stick the rest to the bottle too, just to smooth them out. In principle, these would go on the little hood I'd like to make to go with the loose gown/ropa. That would of course, depend on me getting done with said gown.

More pictures for Julie - these are the enormous ostrich feathers courtesy of Auntie Tina. The ruler is 18" for scale, so they are, as I said, enormous. Do let me know if any of these will suit your mad hatter hat. I like them all, so don't be shy.
 

And finally, a really bad shot of the back of the gown. I'm working on applying the velvet strips. Yes, I'm machine stitching the long parts of these, but that will be covered with couched cord, so I think it's ok in this case. I'm discovering just how bad I am at stitching straight.
 

I do love this velvet. It's the thickest, plushest cotton velvet ever. There are assorted other velvet strips yet to be applied, but you get the idea. I have started the couching as well, but failed wretchedly at taking a picture of shiny black cord on shiny black velvet on dark grey wool. I'll try again on a sunnier day perhaps. Oh, and is not my sewing area a disaster? I can't even identify all the junk behind the gown on my desk. And chair. And other chair. Etc.

That's all so far...but with a one week deadline I daresay there will be more to come. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Julebug said...

Yay!!!!! New pictures. ;)
The ouches look very cool. How much paint did it take to fill them in? Cuz the empty ouches look pretty deep, and you filled them in til level, yes? I shall have to steal that technique....

The velvet strips will be so yummy. I need some of that for various applications.
And my I just say that I ADORE the way the sleeves are on that gown.

As for feathers--how bout I test a few when i'm down in (eek) one week? And thank you to Aunt Tina!

Beth said...

So yes, the ouches took about 5 tries to fill, with me topping them off to roughly level each time. I think maybe if one were to smooth them out a bit more before they dried it would work better.