Wednesday, September 28, 2005

2 more evenings...

So we have pretty satisfactory progress last night, all things considered. I'm down to the last four eyelets. They aren't the prettiest eyelets ever, but they were quick:


 Posted by Picasa

I have a partlet. It's directly "borrowed" from Jen Thompson's v-necked partlet, hooray for creative people sharing their work! Her pattern is here. Happily, we must be pretty close in size, as the pattern sized up exactly. Sadly, I suspect I'm a good bit shorter. Oh yes, and speaking of making fun of myself, did you know that if one sews the right side of the partlet outside to the wrong side of the partlet inside, one gets something that isn't right no matter how many times one turns it inside out? Yay seam-ripping. Yay hand-stitching. Yay fudge factor. Anyway, this is the world's worst picture of the partlet, taken this morning in the mirror, over my work t-shirt, but it gives you the idea at any rate. I haven't made up my mind about whether I want a ruff on it or not, so I'm stalling on that.


 Posted by Picasa

I had rather a lot of fun playing with the kerchief. Heather's outstanding directions for doing this are here, and she's completely accurate about the whole stabbing oneself int he head bit. The only thing I really had to do to get this to work was to make the whole thing a little bigger. I have a big head apparently. Boy, using the patterns of others certainly gives one a fine opportunity to compare unfavorably, no? I digress. I stuck some wire in the brim of this so I could tinker with shaping it. I didn't really tinker much in these pictures. I also think that I'm going to cheat and sew a comb into the back end of the brim to try to keep this parked on my head. I wore it around and was having some problems with slippage, probably because I don't have much of a pile of hair to anchor to.


 Posted by Picasa

Oh yes, and a quick word on the coolness of starch. I have had a jug of old-fashioned liquid starch in my laundry room for years. It's leftover from a science demo with my sister's 3rd grade class. (No, children, the slime is not going to blow up.) Never in a million years would it have occurred to me to starch anything, but boy does that stuff work. It's kind of fun ironing it dry and watching it get stiffer and stiffer. The only trouble was that it actually made the kerchief too stiff to drape nicely, so I ended up having to wash it out. Nonetheless, I think I'm in love. Don't tell my mum. She doesn't know I'm aware of where the iron is located.

Other than that, I've cut out the pieces for my overdress bodice and have stitched up the various vertical seams. I tried this on this morning (over my t-shirt again, so I'll spare you that lovely sight), and I don't see much problem. The jury is still out on whether I want to bone the edges, but I think I may just leave little openings at the bottom so that I can slip some in if I decide I want it. Yep. So that's tonight's project. Cheers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I *heart* startch. I introduced V to the wonder of startch. Mmmm ironed, startched creases.

Anonymous said...

um that was me (niter)

Julebug said...

Why are you going by "anonymous"? You silly thing. We shall flog our insolent serving wench for playing undignified games. *threatens with wooden busk*

Beth--You have been productive!!!!! I feel like I need to catch up. ;) That head wrap is a drape of adorable peasanty goodness--we will be quite the cute little (or big) head duo.

Oh, and liquid starch? I've never seen starch in any way but the spray can form, quite honestly. You're totally Ol'School. ;) I suppose "Ol' School" would be the point of our costuming, eh? That would make me a cheater. Hehe. I already knew that.

Lemme just reiterate how impressed I am by your "all visible stitches hand done" rule. ;) I'm a sewing machine whore.