Tuesday, April 12, 2005

bodiced!!

Thanks Strongbad.

So here we have the front view of the bodice. Note that I'm still wearing my stylish grad school t-shirt. That's b/c yesterday's pictures were taken yesterday morning and today's pictures were taken yesterday evening...um, night. So I do laundry, really I do.


 Posted by Hello

A couple of comments about these pictures:

(1) No, I won't be lacing this with Christmas ribbon, but it was handy (and slightly more durable than yesterday's yarn.

(2) I'm going to be redoing the armholes. The dress engineer (he prefers un-dress engineer) marked them correctly, then I proceeded to ignore the seam allowances last night while sewing them together, resulting in armholes that bind a bit. Not too bad, but could use a bit of an adjustment.

(3) This is probably obvious to anyone with a brain, but I'm going to need to wear my petticoat under the corset, not over as I planned. Otherwise, getting the low point, petticoat, and um, mysterious corset-cover stomacher thingie to come together correctly will be a challenge. I hadn't considered that.

(4) I need to do some topstitching to get the edges to sit correctly, but that'll get taken care of with the trim.

(5) The straps aren't as far out as I think a Venetian dress would be, but this was a deliberate design thing. I play the harp, and so this dress has to work with that. Straps all the way out on the point of my shoulders would make that unpleasant if not impossible.

(6) It kind of looks like the shoulder straps are pooching a little, but I think that's from putting my arms behind my back. I'll have to check, but I think it's ok actually. It looks normal from the side with the arms in a more natural position.

Right then, moving on, here's the back with my critical comments.


 Posted by Hello

(1) Again, a bit of wrinkling where the straps start. I'll have to tug on that to simulate skirt weight and see if it helps. If not, I may just be living with it.

(2) Boning goes all the way down the point in the back. I think the stiffness helps.

So that's the bodice! Up next is redoing the armholes for comfort, then probably embellishing. I'm thinking about little orange bands around the opening, perhaps with clusters of pearls or pearls and amber beads.

2 comments:

Julebug said...

Hmmm...the wrinkling under the straps on the back is likely to go away with skirt weight. But really, when you rework the armholes, it may just resolve itself anyway.

I've already gushed to you about your bodice. But i'll say it here publically--AWESOME!

Beth said...

Thanks Julie. I kinda like it myself ;)

I've halfway convinced myself that the combination you mentioned will make the problem go away,too. The wrinkles look a whole lot like they did on the toile before I cut the armscythe a bit lower, so I suspect that if I actually *gasp* follow the plan it'll work.