Saturday, May 13, 2006

farthingale'ed!!!

 Posted by Picasa


Heh. I like my farthingale. It's quite narrow actually, but this is based on the 22" fabric from Alcega, so I'm guessing this is about right.

It took about two and a half yards of pale yellow cotton fabric, about 50 feet of 5/8" outer diameter hard plastic tubing, a similar amount of ribbon for the casings, and about 12 inches 1/2" OD plastic tubing. I used the smaller tubing to join the ends of the larger tubing used for the hoops. That's pretty much how I connect non-critical tubing in the lab, too.

I had a couple of problems with construction, basically because I'm a moron. First of all, I cut it out a little bit short. I just randomly guessed how much to add to the length to account for the conical shape, and apparently I was wrong. It wasn't a big deal, as I just added a few inches to the top of the skirt. I also bought ribbon that was too small, so the green ribbon is actually two pieces franken-stitched together (ugly). The yellow ribbon I found in my drawer (handy that). The drawstring waist is because I was tired of fiddling with the waistband trying to get the skirt to hang just so. The drawstring is a heckuva lot easier, and is allowing additional tinkering while I work on the next layer.

Ooh la la.

 Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Julebug said...

YAY!!!! Sprite colors strike again. You know, as oldey-tyme as farthingales are, I can't help but think that they look a little space-agey with the crazy tubey stripes.

I can't wait to see the green over this!

Beth said...

I kept thinking of Judy Jetson. And Halloween.