Monday, May 22, 2006

strike a pose

There was a fair bit of sewing this weekend, but I wasn’t in the mood to model it myself, so I thought it only fair that these guys should earn their kibbles. That’s right, I’m one of *those* people. Those people who dress up their pets.

 Posted by Picasa


Here’s Lucy, looking sweet yet flirtatious in a single shoulder roll, stuffed with linen scraps for a nice firmness. Cutting and sewing all those little loops was somewhat of a nuisance, but I couldn’t resign myself to the spiral I was thinking of doing. It was messy, and I couldn’t remember if I’ve seen a portrait. I’ve only got one sewn on the dress as yet.

 Posted by Picasa


Yep, plainly born to model. Look at that eyeliner. All natural that. We were out on a hike one day and had a stranger comment on her eyes. I told her it was a real pain getting the dog to hold still for the eyeliner. Boy did she ever give me a dirty look. Sheesh people, no, I don’t put makeup on my dog. Only dirty socks on occasion.

 Posted by Picasa


And next up we have the debonair Dexter Dog modeling a ….hey wait. Is that poor dog wearing a snood? Oh man. His union rep is going to have something to say about this. Ahem. So here’s the finished caul at any rate. I’ll probably wear it at somewhat less rakish of an angle.

 Posted by Picasa


Here’s the closeup of the beading prior to making it into a little caul and using it to offend my dog’s sensibilities. This was really a fun way of doing a cheater net. I just used backstitching through the beads, so everything was done in two perpendicular passes. No going back and sewing on beads afterwards.

 Posted by Picasa


And well, yeah, here’s my hand modeling the 4th take on putting a waistband on the petticoat. I didn’t really think putting the petticoat on the cat was going to go over so well. I think this time it actually worked. It’s possible that I got a wee bit smarter and did some pinning this time. I also padded the pleats on the backside with two layers of felt for additional butt-tastic-ness.

By my count, that just leaves me with one shoulder roll to attach, a bottom guard to add, two hems to do, a partlet to make, and possibly some sleeve trim to replace. By Friday. Eh. No problems.

4 comments:

Julebug said...

"Oh, Faaaaabulous" (said with a hand flourish). Love it all. I'd say your good for the weekend, you've probably got as much work left as I do on my project. We can do it!!!

Julebug said...

I daresay in that last photo, the petticoats look pinked.

Laren said...

I think the outfit is going to look great! I made my first dress with shoulder rolls this year, and I am converted, they are a really great way to lift a dress. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Cheers,
Jane

Anonymous said...

Dear Beth,
I didn't know where exactly to leave my comment, so of course I picked your beautiful doggies pictures. Lucy is sooo sweet. I cannot believe someone would believe you would do the liner on her. You and your friends are so much fun to see and read about. I love the look. Please keep updating, it is wonderful, Love Aunt Tina