Monday, March 07, 2005

sir mix-a-lot

I present to you….. Corset 1.1. Corset 1.0 never even got a picture taken of it. The tabs were shorter and the discomfort of wearing it was….regrettable. I improved on it by cutting the tabs higher and rebinding it. It’s two layers of canvas duck. Most of the boning is electrical cable ties that have been cut to length and had the pointy bits cut off. The wider channels are a double layer of polyboning. The binding is cheap ribbon. It’s all terribly unperiod, but vaguely conical.

 Posted by Hello
 Posted by Hello

Coming soon for your viewing pleasure….Corset 1.2. I’m planning on adding straps. I think it makes more sense. For one thing, it’ll be guaranteed not to slither its evil way down at some inopportune moment, which is, I confess, a very real fear of mine. Since actual period garments all have straps, I’ve no idea where I got the idea not to include them in the first place. No matter. Stay tuned.

Oh and Julie….start writing all those fabulous compliments to encourage me, eh?

3 comments:

Julebug said...

Fabulous Comment #2: I know I've told you this, but I love your corset. Super clean lines, great shape, and wow. I covet yours for how nicely the back space is--same width all the way up, not such on mine.

Electrical cable ties. Brilliant. Now if only I were handy enough to know what that really is...but they appear to work beautifully, and sound way cheaper than metal--I will have to consider this! If you wanna worry about period, just remember mine is made of super synthetic curtains from the goodwill....

Beth said...

Electrical cable ties......also called zip ties by my husband. He uses them all over the house to fix things. Those and duct tape. Anyway, they're just long plastic strips with a point at one end and a little square opening at the other. And some barbs or something. But I cut that part off. Allegedly you can get them in 1/2 inch widths and 18 inch lengths. Sadly, I could only find 1/4 inch by 12 or 14 inches, hence the Rigilene in the middle.

The only thing is, they're nowhere near as stiff as metal. You can see that in the side picture. They don't completely flatten everything, so when we get around to the elizabethan nobles look, I'll have to hit you up for info on "real" boning.

Anonymous said...

Oh we were supposed to worry about period? LOL my corset is from Fredricks of Hollywood remember!

Recycling.

Well, your corset is awesome enough to make me want to make one (down the road, though).