Friday, May 06, 2005

girdle

I made a girdle last night for the dress. You can see in the close-up that I tacked it directly onto the dress. Otherwise, what with the point in the back and all, it was mighty hard to convince the thing to behave. Oh, and this is on a hanger, not on me, so the dress is lookin' a little limp.


 Posted by Hello

It's two sizes of fake pearls and amber-colored glass beads that match the beads I used on the sleeves. It's strung on a fine wire. I've had all of this stuff for a while, so this is a "free" girdle. The pearls actually date back to when I got married (5 years ago, egads). I had this notion that I was going to make some sort of pearly monstrosity for on my head. It's a good thing I didn't, eh? Now I have a gazillion pearl beads in assorted sizes.

Anyway, here's a shot of the back. This is over my blue jeans instead of all the assorted foundation garments and I'm just holding the front together, so there are some weird wrinkles, but pay no mind. Julie - the little puff directly above the point - that's what I was talking about with my outer fabric bridging. In this picture you can see it doing that. I'm beginning to think about the wisdom of placing a couple of judicious stitches in there to teach it some manners.


 Posted by Hello

The front lacks about 4 more beads and a hook to close it, so no picture of that just yet. I was tired and Frodo and Sam had gotten safely across toward Mordor, so it seemed like a good time to quit. At any rate, this is going to be waist-length only, no pendant chain. I think it would be lost in the fabric anyway with this dress. I'll get a shot of the front when I lace this mess up so the dress engineer can mark my hem.

1 comment:

Julebug said...

A truly awesome pearly belt thingy! I think tacking it to the dress directly is brilliant.

I was contemplating how i'd get it to confirm to the butt point, and all I could come up with was a hook/fastener/loop of some sort there. I shall have to consider tacking it on permanently, though that limits its movement from one dress to another. Hrm....

Hehe, this is so exciting!