Tuesday, May 17, 2005

underwares

Haiku to Julie's camicia

it is so lovely
graceful gathers on the cuffs
redwork abounds here

Haiku to my camicia

eyelets on my wrists
no substitute for blackwork
oops, guess i cheated


 Posted by Hello

Okay, I'll quit with the horrible poetry. So anyway, I didn't end up doing Julie's lovely custom-designed blackwork (scroll down past her humorous attempts to wriggle into a dress) on the camicia. I'm just not that sold on this chemise, and I can't see doing all that work on something I'm not too keen on....I'll save it for something else. In a vague attempt to pretty the camicia up a bit, I slapped some lace on there.

And because you haven't seen enough of me in my underwear yet, here's a second picture in which I've put on the corded petticoat as well. I'm kind of pleased with how this worked out. The stomacher/placket/dickey/whatever is attached to the corset with 9 sets of hook-and-eyes so that it can't wander off, but I can still use the corset for other ensembles. However, I left the bottom loose so that I can put my petticoat over the corset tabs, but under the stomacher/placket/dickey/whatever. Tricksy, no?


 Posted by Hello

Oh and one other little change to the dress. I was having a hard time with lacing through the ribbon. I still think that Jen Thompson's concept is solid, it's just that when I switched to a larger diameter cord, I can no longer get it through the ribbon without a wrestling match. I could have ripped the ribbon out and tried again, but I thought that would be kind of difficult, since the first time I did it I didn't have the outer layer of fabric to worry about. I just left the ribbon in place and sewed in lacing rings (28 of the stupid things to be exact). This doesn't lace up quite as smoothly as the ribbon did, but it's a whole lot easier to deal with.


 Posted by Hello

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth:
lazy anita
with plans for camisa fair
yet it exsists not


Anita:
wonderous design
fallow in cobwebbed noddle
fabric still wanting


Julie:
anita knows
the art of camisa sewing
can be done quickly


Anita:
there is summer yet
after my thesis is writ
and knitting complete


Beth & Julie:
procrastinator!
your cream ones will not suffice
make a new ones soon!


Okay lunch is over so fun time is over.

Julebug said...

Silly Anita!
Thy knitting's never finished.
Poorly Justified.

Insulting Niter!
My poem's wrought with error.
Telling me something?

Beth: You HAVE been a busy girl. And dare I say I love the gratuitous julie-link dropping. teehee. I think the stomacher came out lovely, and your layering technique is ingenious. When do we get to view dress with stomacher under the lacings? Nagnag.

Julebug said...

Oh, forgot to say
Admire your lace selection!
Very elegant.

Beth said...

Julie - Yeah yeah. The pictures I took didn't turn out. And lacing is a pain. Stay tuned I suppose.

Anita - Um....I can't even think of a response. You win.

Anonymous said...

unfortunate Beth
Her blog is hijacked with verse
‘tween Julie and I

years since Toeless Goose
yet she hasn’t forgotten
and where’s her head?

the sumptuous dress of Beth
proves that she paid attention
in Geometry

the patterning is smart
fabric and design stunning
magnificent work

Beth said...

i'm going to vomit
please desist with the verses
or i'll go "no comments"