Tuesday, May 10, 2005

oh never mind, not so bummer after all

One of the bits I'd been trying to sort out was what to put under the front lacings. Some folks have worn the camicia over the corset, but that requires an extra layer under the corset. Yuck. Also, I don't really like my camicia all that well, so I was planning to have it show as little as possible. Some people have managed to wear their dress sans corset. I tried it. It was ugly, and I managed to saw through a couple of the ribbon lacing points trying to make it work. Tip: If you must use Christmas ribbon to test lace, be intelligent and don't pick the stiff, sharp, sawlike stuff. Duh. Anyway, I'd pretty much settled on option three: some kind of stomacher-like thing. There are several examples of the Venetian ladies having done so. My favorite is "Lady with Heron" which I've pretty much taken to mean that I can stitch whatever I want on it. I mean, I was going to do that anyway, but it's nice to pretend I wasn't just going to do whatever I wanted, right? Here's the design I'm planning to have under the lacings in front, which is pretty much completely random. I'm going to make this into a sort of trapezoidal piece that will be basted onto the corset to hold it steady.


 Posted by Hello

And here's a little closer view. It's not anything spectacular, just backstitching with DMC floss.


 Posted by Hello

Anyway, since Anita asked, here's the so-boring picture of me binding the hem. I had planned to do this out of lining fabric, but I was standing in Wal-mart when an evil imp suggested that quilt binding would be oh-so-much less effort. For a similar not-too-exciting outcome.


 Posted by Hello

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, when you explained binding to me I thought to myself, "I wonder if Beth knows that there are premade bindings and I wonder if she ever would use them." I continued, "No, no she would not. I probably should not mention it. I would though. Oh, I totally would." Then I grinneed to myself at my desk.

Julebug said...

I'm quite fond of the stomacher design! I cannot wait to see the finished effect of that. It should be awesome.

Yay binding! I really don't see how using binding is all that much different than using ribbon, so its completely legit in my opinion...

Beth said...

Yeah. I wasn't going to give in to the temptation of binding. But then I got to thinking that I don't really like my lining fabric enough to have it show, I don't really think I can find anything around here in a sturdier material to match, and I'm going to drag this through the dirt. Wasn't too hard to slip off of the straight and narrow. And now it's done, bwa ha ha.

I would not, incidentally, put this anywhere higher on the dress. It was just the notion of all that bother to shred something in the dirt. And I did sew it on by hand, does that get my any credit?

Julebug said...

Yes, handsewing gets much credit! I avoid handsewing as much as possible. My trims are sewn with machine unless they're overtop boning that would kill my needle. ;-)

Bonus points for industrious Beth! If did my stuff by hand my dress would be nowhere near done. I'm a slowpoke. Hah-Punny. Get it? Poke, like with a needle. Oh, the Cheese.... Someone put me out of my misery now.